Yogurt and cocoa sponge cake

Today I am going to teach you how to prepare a yogurt and cocoa sponge cake which I'm sure you'll love.

Yogurt and cocoa cake


I have used natural yogurt to make this cake, but you can try different combinations replacing it for example with a strawberry or vanilla yogurt.

I have sprinkled the cake with icing sugar to make it more beautiful, in case you do the same thing, it is very important that you do it just before serving it, because if you do it a few hours before, the sponge cake will absorb the sugar and will have an unappetizing look.

I made this cake in using a round baking pan of 23 cm. (9 inches) diameter and I highly recommend to cover the pan with baking paper so that it does not get stuck and thus avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Here is a small tutorial if you don't know how to line a mold with baking paper.

Have you ever tried a yogurt sponge cake? What other flavoured yogurts do you think would look good in this recipe?

I hope you leave a comment answering some of my questions!

If you have made this recipe and you want to send me a photo, I'll be happy to receive it, you just have to send it by email to discoverhowicook@gmail.com and I will publish it on this same post so that everyone can see how well my followers cook.


Please share this recipe if you like it!

To prepare this yogurt and cocoa sponge cake you will need:

  • 3 large eggs
  • 125 gr. (4,41 oz.) of yogurt
  • 125 gr. (4,41 oz.) of sugar
  • 125 gr. (4,41 oz.) of flour
  • 65ml. (2,20 fl. oz.) of sunflower oil
  • 50 gr. (1,76 oz.) of cocoa powder
  • 15 gr. (0,53 oz.) of baking powder
  • Lemon zest
  • Icing sugar
To prepare this yogurt and cocoa sponge cake you must follow the following steps:

-Beat the eggs with yogurt, sugar, cocoa, sunflower oil and lemon zest.

-Aside, mix the flour with the baking powder.

-Add the flour to the previous dough and mix well until a homogeneous dough is obtained.

-Put the mixture on a baking pan and bake at 175ºC (347 ºF) for 30-35 minutes.

-Sprinkle the sponge cake with icing sugar before serving.

Sponge cakes recipes

Subscribe to my YouTube channel!


Follow me on social networks!




Comentarios